I found your discussion in the April 2001 issue informative as always. I would like to put in my two cents on your answer to "Alcohol Replacement for Drying." It is our understanding that according to OSHA, the National Fire Code and the Department of Transportation, solvents with flashpoints above 100F and below 140F are classified as "Combustible," not "Flammable." "Nonflammable" may be used for flashpoints exceeding 140F. This is a major issue with our hand-wipe customers as they are replacing MEK, IPA, acetone, xylene, toluene, lacquer thinner, etc. with our solvents and the "Combustible" rating can greatly reduce their insurance and compliance costs. Thanks again for all the good ideas! J.M.
I agree with your correction and thank you for bringing it to my attention. I believe these classifications also apply to disposal of solvents and wipes or other disposables used with these solvents.
blog comments powered by Disqus