It's Good to Be Green!
23. May 2013
I got to see and hear firsthand last month what it's like to be "green" during a visit to Downers Grove, IL to check up on long-standing amerimold and MMT supporter Bales Mold Service ... and yes, it does have something to do with this photo.
Although this photo looks like something out of a horror movie, it is actually a photo showing the craftmanship at Bales, which has helped them to be one of the leaders in their field offering cutting-edge engineered coatings and finishes while also handling intricate applications.
Harry (Raimondi) and Sara (Bales Mortensen) toured Claude (MMT Publisher) and I around their facilities, explaining their various surface finish technologies and techniques as well as giving us the lo-down on their efforts to "go green".
Those efforts have paid off in a few ways, one being the first recipient of an award from the Village of Downers Grove’s new Green Business Recognition Program last week by Mayor Martin Tully.
According to the Village’s website, this Program was formed “to encourage businesses within Downers Grove to adopt environmentally sustainable practices, such as waste reduction, conservation of water and energy conservation."
Bales has done so by:
- Installating solar tracking skylights and standard skylights on the shop floor that reflect light into the building and regulate when the lights turn on
- Practicing shutdown procedures
- Installingmotion sensor lights
- Replacing all incandescent bulbs
- Using light timers to reduce unnecessary energy usage throughout the plant
- Establishing a program to collect shredded office paper to use as packing material
- Reusing boxes and packaging material for outgoing shipments
- Collectiing scrap material for recycling, repurposing of machinery, recycling old computer equipment and supplies whenever possible.
Bales is also a zero discharge facility and uses an environmentally friendly citric passivation solution, plus the Company is actively involved with industrial trade organizations where resources are provided that helps Bales implement new standards for chemical treatment and housekeeping practices.
You can come hear Bales speak on Maximizing Mold Production and Protection at 2pm on June 13 on the amerimold expo show floor. Learn how to get the best out of molds with the right coatings to protect from corrosion and wear; and, how to use coatings and finishes to increase mold longevity and production. Regsiter today!