Majoy, Bell, McGuinness, Nebiolo, Ryan, Murphy and Roach Receive NASF Awards of Merit
9. July 2014
The National Association for Surface Finishing honored 10 of the industry’s top leaders during their 7th Annual NASF Awards Presentation on Monday June 9 at the NASF Pavilion as part of the 2014 SUR/FIN Conference.
The ceremony recognized each leaders’ outstanding dedication to ensuring a strong association and vibrant future for the finishing industry.
NASF President, Rick Delawder kicked off the ceremony with a warm welcome and thanks to all in attendance. Awards Chair, Mike Kelly, then took to the stage to present the Presidential Award, the Scientific Achievement Award, the Taormina Award and seven Awards of Merit to this year’s recipients.
Bill Wiggins of Automation Plating Corporation received the coveted Presidential Award for his extraordinary contributions to NASF and visionary efforts to advance the industry. In his 40+ year career, Wiggins has been an industry ambassador, held an elected office and actively serves as a member of the State Association and Board of Directors.
The Scientific Achievement Award was presented to Dr. Hudson Bates, Executive Director of the Nickel Producers Environmental Research Association (NiPERA). One of the world’s foremost toxicologists and an expert on nickel, nickel processes, nickel human health and environmental health, Dr. Bate’s 20+ year career has enhanced the dignity and status of the finishing industry. As recipient of this year’s Scientific Achievement Award, Dr. Bates will deliver the Blum Lecture at the 2015 SUR/FIN Conference.
Jim Jones of Dixie Industrial Finishing received the Taormina Award for his outstanding commitment to improving the industry. Jones expressed the importance of being an NASF member and the crucial part his participation in the organization has played in advancing his business and the industry overall.
In addition, seven esteemed NASF members were presented with Awards of Merit for their exceptional service of a local and/or national nature.
• Brad Majoy (Pavco): Well known and respected throughout the industry, Brad Majoy has greatly contributed to numerous projects at the local level in Cleveland over the past 20 years.
• Sam Bell (Metal Surfaces, Inc.): Sam Bell has singlehandedly educated a majority of Congress on the value of the plating process. Bell has been an NASF member and industry leader for many years.
• Terry McGuinness (Enviroserv): A tireless advocate for the metal finishing industry and President of the North California Chapter of NASF, McGuinness’s leadership has been instrumental in the chapter’s positive contributions.
• William Nebiolo (REM Chemicals): William Nebiolo has been instrumental in developing the SME Mass Finishing Training Course, including an industry-wide mass finishing textbook still in use today.
• Lawrence Ryan (Atotech): A troubleshooting expert in all aspects of electroplating during his 40+ year career, Lawrence Ryan is a distinguished authority in plating on plastics.
• Bruce Murphy (Enthone): Bruce Murphy is well known for his contributions to the development of composite and conventional electroless nickel plating baths, aluminum pre-treatment for electroless nickel and pre-treatment for steel and copper-based alloys. Murphy also developed a manual for electroless nickel electroplating.
• David Roach (Peninsula Metal Finishing): Recognized as an expert in anodizing technologies, David Roach has provided years of outstanding service to both the military and commercial sectors.