When we started tinkering with the idea of creating a smart phone app for Products Finishing magazine readers, we didn’t want it to be just a way to repackage our news about the finishing industry on a smaller screen.
The new PF app is usable as a tool for the work people do on the shop floor, in the estimating office or even out on the road. It includes reference tools that would be great to have in your pocket rather than running back to the office to look something up, or simple conversion charts and tables that makes calculations simple.
So download our app here:
...and you’ll be able to download the smart phone app to your device (iPhone, Android and soon Windows) which has some pretty cool tools:
- Glossary of finishing terms, for that day when you need to know what an “anolyte” is, or what it means to have a “thief” in your bath.
- Atomic weight table, just like we had as sophomore in high school.
- Temperature conversion tables so you’ll know that -19C is also -2.2F.
- Conversion tables to translate things such as kilopascales to millibars, which of course everyone knows you simply multiply by 10.
- Units of weights and measures to convert grains to scruples in case you are also a pharmacist in addition to being a custom coater.
- Plating specifications in case you do not recall that AMS2485 is calling out a black oxide (jeez!).
- Incompatible chemicals list to make sure you don’t mix chlorine dioxide with ammonia, methane, phosphine or hydrogen sulfide, lest you want to start remodeling very soon.
- Acid-base indicators for when you need info on alizarin yellow (10.0 – 12.0, 1 drop 0.1% aq. soln., yellow lilac), but who’s counting?
We’ll add more tables if you’ll let us know. The thing you’ll learn about apps is that they are their own living, breathing thing, capable of being changed and improved over time.
For those of you who do own an iPhone, we also added a special way to “Ask The PF Experts” in case you have a question about plating, painting, powder coating, anodizing, cleaning, pollution or mechanical finishing (sorry, Android and Windows technology have not caught up just yet).
The PF app with the iPhone will allow you to text a question to our Experts right from the phone, and allow you to take a photo and send it along, too. So instead of writing 500 words on that blistering problem you’re having, snap a photo and text it off to our pros to help you solve.
And yes, we have created special “zones” on the app for our own special zones mentioned above. You can easily read the latest information on plating, painting, powder coating and the others, plus get info on new products just out on the market, as well as breaking news from the industry.
We think the PF app will give you some great use, and it is free of charge. Write to us and let us know what other features you’d like, and we’ll see about adding them in upcoming versions.