As a registered American Institute of Architects' Continuing Education System (AIA/CES) provider, Linetec now offers the "Choosing Sustainable Finishes" online course. This sustainable design presentation includes the informed selection of materials, products and manufacturers to reduce environmental impacts and improve building performance. The program is available as either an in-person presentation or as a self-guided online course accessible at Linetec.com/architect_resources.html.
Those who successfully complete "Choosing Sustainable Finishes" will gain a full understanding of:
- Why aluminum is chosen as a building product
- Sustainable considerations of architectural finishing, including anodize, PVDF (Kynar) paint and powder coat
- American Architectural Manufacturers Association specifications and warranty information
- Environmental considerations in choosing a coatings provider
- How architectural finishing contributes to the U.S. Green Building Council's LEED Rating System
Following the coursework, participants can earn 1.0 Learning Units (LUs) for Health, Safety and Welfare (HSW) and Sustainable Design (SD). AIA-registered architects are required to earn 18 LUs in a calendar year. Of these, eight must be in HSW subjects. SD is a subset of HSW. Four of the eight HSW LUs must meet the established SD guidelines for mandatory continuing education. For more information on AIA/CES requirements, please visit aia.org/education/index.htm.
In addition to "Choosing Sustainable Finishes," Linetec's "Introduction to Coatings: Field Performance and the Application Process" program helps the building community better understand field performance and the application process of architectural coatings. It explains the anodizing, painting and powder coating processes, describes specifications and compares the field performance of architectural finishes. Participants in either the online or in-person course are eligible for 1.0 LU/HSW.blog comments powered by Disqus