What can cause compression stress in a nickel sulfamate plating bath? We use this bath for electroforming and find that we constantly have to battle the build-up of compressive stress in the deposit. V. M.
Some of the common things that can cause a build-up of compressive stress in a nickel sulfamate bath are as follows:
- Increased concentration of sulfamate ion oxidation products
- Decrease of the pH of the plating solution
- Decreased concentration of chloride ion in the plating solution
- Poor agitation of the plating bath solution
- High anode current density
It is critical that you operate an electroforming bath under very tight tolerances.